
Giants in the Spirit
Psst! Want to know of a little secret of mine?
Okay, maybe I can't really call it a secret since most of you would probably know this - I hate rats/mice/hamsters, whatever you want to call those scary-looking fur balls. Just the mere thought of rats makes me squeal and shiver.
I know I always exaggerate, but not this time. I really dislike rats, they freak me out quite badly. Yes, just the sight of it can send me screaming and running in the opposite direction! (Mickey & Minnie are an exception since they don't look anything like the real thing. So, if you want to take me to Disneyland, it won't be a problem. I'll gladly accept the offer!)
Ironically, I've actually learnt a great lesson from the various frightening encounters I had with these monsters.
If you've ever been around the Toa Payoh neighbourhood, you'll probably notice that its almost like a rat haven! They are everywhere! Okay, I mean everywhere hiding in the bushes, drains, and rubbish cans.
There is this particular stretch of walkway in front of my block that I hate walking along when I return home at night. This is where you always get sudden ambushes from rats that dash across your path and leave you looking like a fool when you start jumping and running around to get away from it! Eeeks. I remember experiencing one of those ambush and I was screeching and hopping in front of a group of strangers. Uncool! Embarrassing!
So now, every time I approach this walkway, standing in the face of fear, I will have to make some crucial decisions that might shake the Heavens and the Earth:
I. Turn and walk the longer way
This is always the easier option since it saves me from all the uncertainties and puts my mind at ease 'cause I can be sure the monsters won't jump at me.
To take the easier way out, I end up walking on the path I am not meant to be walking upon. But instead, I strolled along the broad walkway which doesn't take me home directly; bringing me on a detour. On top of that, I will never be an overcomer since I always chicken-out even before trying.
Living as a loser? Method I. should not even be an option!
II. Walk the path and deceive myself those rats aren't there
If someday you pass by my block, and see a silly-looking person walking with her chin high, high up and walking hastily remember to wave and say 'Hi!'. That weird girl will probably be me, living (or walking) in denial. On days when I mask up enough courage to walk that road, I will walk looking high up the blocks or even into the sky with an 'Ostrich Mentality'. As long as I don't see the rats, they are not there.
As a result when they actually start squeaking and again appear before me, I will be off doing my uncool tap dancing!
Obviously, Method II. doesn't work either.
III. Stomp my foot as I walk and scare all the rats away/Tail someone!
This is indisputably the best method to overcome fear! Now when I walk along the path, I stomp my feet across to scare the rats back into their mouse holes even before I am anywhere near them. Works the same when I tail behind someone along the walkway, wise mice will learn to hide when they hear the giants!
As such, I don't have to be afraid of encountering these monsters and at the same time, be able to walk along my destined walkway. I can't describe to you how good it feels to be able to overcome your fear. It's not that I can now come face-to-face with a rat, but knowing that I'm the ultimate giant and I have greater power then they do, tell me who's the daddy now! Ha!
Fear is something inevitable for every ordinary being. Yet, in the face of fear, we need to know that we are giants in the spirit. Obviously not because we are big in ourselves, but because we're backed by a God who has all authority in Heaven and on Earth! Stomp your feet and send the devil runing back to his mouse hole!
Psst! Want to know of a little secret of mine?
Okay, maybe I can't really call it a secret since most of you would probably know this - I hate rats/mice/hamsters, whatever you want to call those scary-looking fur balls. Just the mere thought of rats makes me squeal and shiver.
I know I always exaggerate, but not this time. I really dislike rats, they freak me out quite badly. Yes, just the sight of it can send me screaming and running in the opposite direction! (Mickey & Minnie are an exception since they don't look anything like the real thing. So, if you want to take me to Disneyland, it won't be a problem. I'll gladly accept the offer!)
Ironically, I've actually learnt a great lesson from the various frightening encounters I had with these monsters.
If you've ever been around the Toa Payoh neighbourhood, you'll probably notice that its almost like a rat haven! They are everywhere! Okay, I mean everywhere hiding in the bushes, drains, and rubbish cans.
There is this particular stretch of walkway in front of my block that I hate walking along when I return home at night. This is where you always get sudden ambushes from rats that dash across your path and leave you looking like a fool when you start jumping and running around to get away from it! Eeeks. I remember experiencing one of those ambush and I was screeching and hopping in front of a group of strangers. Uncool! Embarrassing!
So now, every time I approach this walkway, standing in the face of fear, I will have to make some crucial decisions that might shake the Heavens and the Earth:
I. Turn and walk the longer way
This is always the easier option since it saves me from all the uncertainties and puts my mind at ease 'cause I can be sure the monsters won't jump at me.
To take the easier way out, I end up walking on the path I am not meant to be walking upon. But instead, I strolled along the broad walkway which doesn't take me home directly; bringing me on a detour. On top of that, I will never be an overcomer since I always chicken-out even before trying.
Living as a loser? Method I. should not even be an option!
II. Walk the path and deceive myself those rats aren't there
If someday you pass by my block, and see a silly-looking person walking with her chin high, high up and walking hastily remember to wave and say 'Hi!'. That weird girl will probably be me, living (or walking) in denial. On days when I mask up enough courage to walk that road, I will walk looking high up the blocks or even into the sky with an 'Ostrich Mentality'. As long as I don't see the rats, they are not there.
As a result when they actually start squeaking and again appear before me, I will be off doing my uncool tap dancing!
Obviously, Method II. doesn't work either.
III. Stomp my foot as I walk and scare all the rats away/Tail someone!
This is indisputably the best method to overcome fear! Now when I walk along the path, I stomp my feet across to scare the rats back into their mouse holes even before I am anywhere near them. Works the same when I tail behind someone along the walkway, wise mice will learn to hide when they hear the giants!
As such, I don't have to be afraid of encountering these monsters and at the same time, be able to walk along my destined walkway. I can't describe to you how good it feels to be able to overcome your fear. It's not that I can now come face-to-face with a rat, but knowing that I'm the ultimate giant and I have greater power then they do, tell me who's the daddy now! Ha!
Fear is something inevitable for every ordinary being. Yet, in the face of fear, we need to know that we are giants in the spirit. Obviously not because we are big in ourselves, but because we're backed by a God who has all authority in Heaven and on Earth! Stomp your feet and send the devil runing back to his mouse hole!
3 comments:
Amen! True love drives out all fear, God is love, and you sure know He is true. God bless you. (commenting since there's no tagboard. haha)
Post a Comment